compensation: $21.11 - $32.31 per hour employment type: full-time
QR Code Link to This Post
The Office of the Vice President for Research and Innovation (OVPRI) promotes excellence in research at the University of Oregon. Research, both basic and applied, is fundamental to the mission of the University and is essential to Oregon's economic and civic vitality. OVPRI is committed to enhancing these efforts by providing administrative and financial support for sponsored programs, including identification of funding opportunities, proposal submission, research compliance, and contracts and grant administration.
Sponsored Projects Services (SPS) provides a full range of pre- and post-award administration services in the division of the Office of the Vice President for Research and Innovation. SPS responsibilities include proposal and award management, proposal development and submission, contract negotiation, sub-award execution, budget review, financial reporting and funding source identification. In FY17, the UO submitted over $163M in proposals to external sponsors and received almost $115M in external awards.
This Accountant 2 position is within the post-award area of SPS. The position will have task assignments from the Associate Director of Post-Award. The position provides accounting support in adhering to legal, policy, and technical requirements pertaining to financial aspects of awards and sub-awards and is responsible for fiscal activities and post-award financial monitoring with the result being compliant with federal, UO, and state of Oregon rules and other applicable regulations. This position must coordinate activities with SPS staff, UO faculty/staff, and outside organizations and federal agencies.
This position provides financial and technical support to the SPS post-award AD and staff, as well as to the UO community through the coordination of award/contract and sub-award/sub-contract invoicing with post-award and unit staff; analysis and implementation of federal rules regarding sub-recipient monitoring and outreach; and for conducting in-office effort certification data quality reviews to ensure that personnel charges to sponsored awards are accurately and completely reflected in the online effort certification and accounting system. The position also provides assistant in financial management of awards through cash management, draw-downs, billing and collections.
• Bachelor's degree with a CPA or PA certificate and three years of accounting experience*;
• Bachelor's degree with 30 quarter (20 semester) hours of accounting courses and three years of accounting experience*;
• 30 quarter (20 semester) hours of college-level accounting courses and five years of experience*.
*Accounting experience must include at least 6 of the following:
• documenting and resolving problems within an accounting system;
• classifying revenues and expenditures to funds and accounts;
• ensuring accounting system conforms with applicable controls;
• reconciling accounts to general or control ledgers;
• preparing journal vouchers;
• applying accounting principles to one or more functional areas; i.e., AR, AP, etc.;
• tracing errors through accounting system;
• processing data using a computer;
• communicating technical material orally and in writing;
• applying computer report information;
• knowledge of governmental and fund accounting;
• applying PC spreadsheet, database, and word processing software.
• Outstanding accounting skills including ability to analyze and recommend action.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills; ability to communicate confidently and effectively with senior leadership.
• Demonstrated success working with enterprise financial systems and Microsoft Excel.
• Respect for and ability to effectively interact with a wide range of people with varying degrees of financial acumen.
• Demonstrated experience with and/or commitment to working effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds, in support of an inclusive and welcoming environment.
• Experience in higher education sponsored program administration.
• Experience with Banner.
FLSA Exempt: No
Review of Applications Begins
Position closes April 5, 2018
Special Instructions to Applicants
Complete online applications will include a current resume, a cover letter of interest describing skills, knowledge, and abilities with special attention to providing information of how skills and experience meet the minimum requirements; and three professional references.
All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a background inquiry.
This is a classified position represented by the SEIU Local 503, Oregon Public Employees Union.
The University of Oregon is proud to offer a robust benefits package to eligible employees, including health insurance, retirement plans and paid time off. For more information about benefits, visit http://hr.uoregon.edu/careers/about-benefits.
The University of Oregon is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution committed to cultural diversity and compliance with the ADA. The University encourages all qualified individuals to apply, and does not discriminate on the basis of any protected status, including veteran and disability status.
UO prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression in all programs, activities and employment practices as required by Title IX, other applicable laws, and policies. Retaliation is prohibited by UO policy. Questions may be referred to the Title IX Coordinator, Office of Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity, or to the Office for Civil Rights. Contact information, related policies, and complaint procedures are listed on the statement of non-discrimination.
In compliance with federal law, the University of Oregon prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and services. The Annual Campus Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at http://police.uoregon.edu/annual-report.
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers
OK to highlight this job opening for persons with disabilities